Mb-2 Semi-Hollow Fretless Bass (4 string, black walnut pictured)
Introduced in 1997, the MB-2 bass combines the warmth of an upright bass with the punch of a solid body, creating it's own unique tone. It is a lightweight hybrid, semi-hollow instrument that is organic in sound and feel. The MB-2 is made with the highest quality materials, featuring hand selected tone woods, minimal finish for optimum resonance, and high quality electronics that feature a discreet signal path for pure unadulterated bass tone in combination with a piezo pickup. Unlike magnetic pickups which primarily sense the metal in the string, a piezo is a vibration sensor, making the sound of the wood itself the dominant factor. This makes for a very dynamic touch sensitive instrument. The La Bella 760n strings feature a steel core with a smooth nylon outer wrapping, which contribute to ease of intonation. In a word, you've never picked up a fretless bass that's this easy to play in tune.
- available in 4 or 5 string
- neck woods- birdseye maple, black walnut
- fingerboard woods- cocobolo, macasser ebony
- body wood- alder, swamp ash, mahogany,
- top wood- maple, walnut, koa, paduk, various
- scale length- 4 string; 34" 5 string; 35"
- nut width- 4 string; 1 5/8" 5 string; 1 7/8"
- string spacing at bridge- 4 string; .750" 5 string; .690"
- Hipshot ultralite tuners
- Fishman piezo pickup & preamp
- volume control integrated into bridge
- high trim passive tone control in rear cavity
- body finish: polyurethane modified oil
- neck finish: nitrocellulose lacquer
- celluloid nitrate binding on body
- strings: La Bella 760n (.060~.115) (low B is .128")
- weight- Mb-2 (4) string: 6.5 lbs Mb-2 (5) string; 7 lbs
- base price: Mb-2 (4) string: $3000, Mb-2 (5) string $3300, including form fit custom hardshell case